General Hints on How to Apply Natural Looking Make-Up
Unless you are applying make-up designed and destined for a role on stage, in film, for a fancy dress party, or photographic purposes, it should enhance and emphasise your best facial features, whilst minimising and playing down those that are less than perfect.
Despite this individuality, there are numerous universal hints on how to apply it, so that it looks natural. Today, we focus on general, rather than specific guidelines on how to enhance your natural beauty.
- Assess your features objectively, which enables you to decide what to emphasise and what to minimise.
- Remember, less may be more. If you have applied make-up too lightly, it is quick and easy to add a little extra. If you are wearing too much, you virtually have to remove everything and start from scratch. If it is applied too heavily, it is not flattering. It looks caked-on and tacky.
- Throughout the application process, remember to blend, blend, and blend. Colour blocking is not intended for natural, appearance-enhancing make-up application.
- Application of a primer helps everything else set and last.
- Concealer, used to cover and hide blemishes, dark shadows, and imperfections, should match your skin tone as closely as possible for a naturally perfect appearance.
- Follow with a foundation selected for your skin type and skin tone. The lower jaw area is a good place to test foundation shades, because this area is closest to your natural skin tone and neck area, and you do not want your face to look as if your head is disconnected from your neck and body. Now, add a light dusting of powder, if required.
- Next, apply blusher in a shade that complements your underlying skin tone. Begin on the apples of the cheeks and sweep blusher towards your hairline in a C-shape, depending on face shape. Blend well, because blusher should not resemble a stripe of war paint.
- Apply eyeshadow, highlighter, and eyeliner. Curl eyelashes and put on mascara. Heating the eyelash curler for up to five seconds with a hairdryer improves the curling effect. Lashes appear longer and eyes wider.
- Fill in eyebrows.
Lovely and Good to Go
Now, you are good to go. Your new brows should leave you feeling naturally beautiful, well-groomed, and confident, as lovely and attractive on the outside as you are on the inside.