5 Hair Styling Tips to Protect Your Hair from Sun Damage This Summer
The days are getting longer, and the nights are getting shorter, which means the summer months are fast approaching. A season for action-packed water sports, adventure hiking, beaching and tanning, South African summers are not only hot but also long, running for seven months a year. But right now, you have two problems: you want to keep your hair sun-damage free, and you want some hair styling ideas to keep your body temperature cool when the heat pours down.
5 hair styling tips to keep your hair from frizzing and your body from overheating:
- Protect Hair Colour with a Hat and Sunscreen: Just like leaving a pillow in the sun and watching it fade over time, your hair is no different, so cover it with a hat or scarf. If hats and scarfs don’t work for you, work sunscreen into your hair.
- Condition Hair before Swimming: Hair and skin need moisture, especially in the heat. If you spend weekends in the ocean or swimming pool, condition your hair before you get in, as this will prevent your hair from absorbing sea salt or chlorine.
- Wash Hair Once a Week and Condition with Natural Plant-Based Oils: Washing hair every day strips the scalp and hair follicles of its natural oils that work to control unruly hair. Instead of using shampoo, rather condition with Shea, coconut, avocado, olive or argan oil. These five plant-based oils are available and affordable, feeding hair moisture, and adding bounce and control.
- Use Minimal Hair Styling Products: One of the best things about summer is that perfection is not a requirement. Dry hair breaks, and if you plan on creating flawless up do’s that require harsh products, your hair will snap and frizz.
- Give Heating and Straitening Tools a Break: If you put your hair through the wringer over the winter months, now is the time to pack them away and sport your natural waves and curls. If you must heat and curl, ensure you invest in a brilliant conditioning treatment.
Your hair is your crown, so look after it and wear it proudly, comfortably and naturally this summer. For more tips, hacks and trends on beauty, nails and hair styling, browse our blog.
Trackback from your site.